Open Programmes and Residentials
Open Gold expeditions…. with a difference…. One expedition, two modes of travel
For small groups and individuals who are unable to complete their expedition at their school or unit we at No Limits Development offer a unique opportunity to complete your Open Gold Expedition via two modes of travel – Walking and Canoeing.
An extremely rewarding expedition in some of the most spectacular scenery in the UK. Complete your Gold expeditions by combining trekking amongst spectacular mountain scenery within some of our finest National Parks. Then continue by canoeing along one of the classic waterways of the UK. Where you can stop for lunch along the river banks and observe a variety of wildlife in its natural surroundings.
Dates and Location
These extremely rewarding expeditions are delivered within the beautiful surroundings of the Lake District, (recently designated as an UNESCO World Heritage Site), Brecon Beacons and the River Wye.
The dates for these expeditions are
Optional Canoe Training in the Lake District
Tuesday 29th – Wednesday 30th May 2018
Practice Expedition in the Lake District
Thursday 31st May – Sunday 3rd June 2018
Qualifying Expedition in the Black Mountains
Monday 20th – Friday 24th August 2018
All the locations we use for our Open Gold Expeditions are easily accessible by car, bus and rail links.
To undertake these expeditions the DofE requires you to be competent in both modes of travel. The expedition skills training and canoe refresher will be covered as part of our Practice expedition. However we can take a more flexible approach to the canoe skills training – some suggestions would be;
1. Undertake training at your own leisure to either achieve the BCU 2 star award or provide a signed letter from an appropriate BCU coach, stating you are competent in line with the DofE canoe training framework.
2. Attend a No Limits Development intensive 2 day canoe training programme, prior to the practice expedition, to build your skills and confidence in boat handling. Details below
Canoe Training £144.00 per person
Practice Expedition £390.00 per person
Qualifying Expedition £390.00 per person
*Inclusive of all fees and hire charges – see below for more details.
We require a deposit of £85.00 to confirm your place on the training and per expedition, the remaining balance is due 6 weeks prior to the training or expedition commencing.
What we include
• Pre-expedition information pack containing all the information you need including location details, transport and kit lists etc.
• Comprehensive training covering all aspects of the DofE syllabus.
• Camping fees
• All group equipment including tents, stoves, fuel, first aid kits, emergency shelters & maps etc.
• All canoe equipment, boats, paddles, dry storage bags, buoyancy aids
• Supervision and guidance from experienced and friendly instructors
• Access to our experienced team in advance of your trip to provide answers to any questions you may have
• All route planning information
• Pick up from local train stations etc. in the expedition area (subject to availability)
What you need to arrange
• Transport to and from the expedition venue
• All your own food – we will provide guidance on this
• All personal items of equipment – we will provide a comprehensive kit list
The next step
If you would like to book onto one of our Open Gold programmes you will need to be aged 16 to 24 and must be enrolled on to the Gold DofE Award.
To join a qualifying expedition you must also have completed a training programme and a practice expedition and have it confirmed by eDofE.
If would like to join one of our expeditions please contact us for an application form which can be returned to us along with a deposit of £85.00 per training or expedition.
Please contact us for further information or if you have any questions
email@example.com or Call the No Limits Team – 01539 432342
Please note we require a minimum of 10 participants to run an Open Gold Expedition. In the unlikely event that the numbers drop below this we will contact you to discuss the options which may include cancelling the expedition.